SAFETY FIRST! BEWARE OF COUNTERFEITS!
Magformers are a wonderful product. Unfortunately, this means you can now find plenty of imitation or counterfeit Magformers on the market.
Please be careful not to be cheated by sellers pretending to sell the real product, and certainly do not consciously buy imitation or counterfeit Magformers for various reasons, but the most important reason being your child’s safety.
Never let your children play with magnetic toys where the magnets might come loose, or with loose magnets.
This is why genuine Magformers are subjected to regular safety testing to ensure the pieces are made to a very high standard, so that the small magnets are encapsulated safely and will not come loose even with a reasonable level of abuse during play.
The Magformers sold through the Magformers eStore, and our authorised stockists are genuine Magformers and have therefore been safety tested to the relevant International Toy Safety Standards.
We provide support and after care to genuine Magformers products purchased from the Magformers eStore or authorized retailer.
Each Magformers magnetic shape is embossed with the word Magformers.
Below is a list of known counterfeits on the marketplace.
- MAGICAL MAGNET
- SAGO BROTHERS
- PIGGY BANK STORE
- MAG.IIGTQE By EMaks
- Sweet Toy
- Magical Magnet
- TBNEY/ Learning mag
- HAPPY CHERRY
- TURN SHOP
- HAPPY STATE
- MAGSTAR (Kobal Sales & Marketing/KSM sales)
- SAGO BROTHERS
- Teylas Treasures LLC
- Blessed Living
- TBNEY/Learning Mag
GENUINE MAGFORMERS™ ARE THE ONLY MAGNETIC CONSTRUCTION SET OF ITS KIND TO MEET ALL U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL TOY SAFETY STANDARDS
Magformers™ are a wonderful product. They provide hours of educational entertainment for kids and adults alike, and have been certified to meet all relevant U.S. and International safety standards for children's toys.
This last point is important. Magformers™ uses magnets to hold the pieces together while children exercise their imaginations. We here at Magformers have gone to great lengths to ensure that the small magnets are encapsulated safely and will not come loose even with a reasonable level of abuse during play. This may not be true for other similar toys that are showing up on the market.
When you buy genuine Magformers™ products, you get the benefit of years of research and development, including specially designed plastics made exclusively for Magformers™ toys. Here is just a small sampling of what you get when you buy genuine Magformers™ toys.
.Here are only some of the many reasons why you should only ever buy genuine Magformers:
- The plastic used in genuine Magformers (a type of ABS plastic) is of a very high quality and is used only in Magformers.In fact, the actual plastic used has been created just for Magformers! This means that no other plastic toy is made from the same plastic as genuine Magformers!
- It is a very strong plastic that will not break easily with ordinary use, or even with a reasonable level of abuse during play. However, as with any other plastic, please keep the pieces away from very high temperatures to avoid the pieces melting.
- Genuine Magformers uses neodymium magnets that are 5 times more powerful than magnets in ordinary toys to allow for secure attachment, but also allows for easy and quick disassembly.
- Genuine Magformers have 48-hour anti-rusting qualities (however it is recommended that you keep the pieces dry at all times).
- Genuine Magformers are tested to International safety standards, including the following:
- ASTM F963-11 – Physical and mechanical tests
- ASTM F963-11 – Flammability Test of Materials other than textile materials
- ASTM F963-11 Heavy elements – Soluble elements test for substrate materials
- ASTM F963-11 Heavy elements – Total Lead content
- U.S. Code of FederalRegulations Title 16 CFR 1303 Total Lead content in surface coating
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act 2008 Title I Section 101 – Total Lead content in surface coating
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act 2008 Title I Section 101 – Total Lead content in non-surface coating materials (substrate)
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act 2008 Title I, Section 108 – Phthalate content
- EN71-1 : 2011 – Mechanical and Physical properties
- EN71-2 : 2011 – Flammability test
- EN71-3 : 2013 – Migration of certain element
IF IT IS NOT A GENUINE MAGFORMERS™ TOY, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING
As people all around the world have learned about Magformers™, the market has been flooded with imitations. Don't be fooled by a cheap knock off. Some of them are passed off under the Magformers™ name. Others claim that they "work with" or are "compatible with" Magformers™. These are not genuine Magformers™, have not been tested by Magformers, are not affiliated with Magformers, and may not adhere to Magformers™ quality standards.
Here are some examples of the types of knock-off products we have seen on the market:
This is the tub that the imitation product came in. Unfortunately it is labelled “Magformers”, but is clearly not a genuine Magformers® product:
This is the “warning” label appearing on the tub:
This is the booklet (unfortunately referring to the imitation product as “Magformers”). Unlike what is stated in the booklet, genuine Magformers® come in more shapes than just squares and triangles, but the bigger concern is of course the danger associated with the inferior imitation product:
It was immediately apparent that the quality of each piece was inferior. This piece showed stress marks and had a crack in the plastic:
And from a different angle, you can already see how dangerous this piece is:
Here is the other side:
With a little bit of force applied, the magnet fell out!
With only slightly more force, the two pieces of plastic came apart, and all four magnets fell out!
We were then just left with two broken pieces of cheap plastic and four very strong magnets. Obviously, this can be extremely dangerous for young children.
HOW CAN YOU IDENTIFY GENUINE MAGFORMERS™
Magformers™ are only sold through authorized Magformer retailers and through the Magformers eStore. The list of authorized retailers is linked here http://www.whitbyhouses.com/dealerlocator. If you are buying them anywhere else, you are not buying genuine Magformers™.
We continue to monitor the market and to do what we can to remove these potentially unsafe products from the market, but new products appear all of the time. By knowing how to identify genuine Magformers™, you'll know how to protect yourself.